According to StatisticBrain.com, from data compiled from Reuters, Herald News, PC World and Washington Post, the online dating business generates over a billion dollars in revenue. There are approximately 54 million single Americans and over 40 million have tried online dating.
There is no denying that the dating industry is in a financial growth period. With the addition of mobile applications, streamline payments and a younger generation embracing the Internet, the dating industry is poised for continued growth for years to come.
Starting your own online dating business can be done in an affordable and scalable manner. You can start in one city and expand as you grow. You can widen the reach and focus on a specific region of states or you can go national and international.
Here are ten tips on how to start your own site:
1. Focus on a niche market. This can be a religious affiliation, gender, ethnicity, age or more obscure such as a food choice (ie: vegetarian) or hobby. By narrowing down the category for the dating pool, you can attract more users that fit the specific demographic.
2. Name your site. Once you have chosen your focus, name your site. Try to use words that would easily appear in an online search or include “dating” in the title.
3. Claim your site. Purchase the domain name through GoDaddy.com or another hosting site. For a professional appearance, sign up for the email package so users can contact you at your site address.
4. Build a website on your own or through a white label service. There are numerous platforms available that let you utilize their programs to build a site. Dating Factory is a free service that enables you to build a site semi-customized to your needs.
5. Establish a social networking presence. Your site is online so your visibility should be online, too. Start a Facebook page and group, create a Twitter account, start an Instagram page, sign on to Pinterest, and create a Google+ account. Be sure to use your brand name for all the accounts.
6. Build a blog. Content marketing is a key component to attracting users. If you are a writer, write 3-5 articles a week about relationships, dating and love on your blog. You can also enlist the help of guest bloggers or use backlinks to trackback to other dating articles. The more relevant content you provide to your users, the more traffic you can generate to your site.
7. Submit press releases. Submit press releases to your local papers and to the national wire. This is a good way to announce the site, its service mission and any unique qualities about the site.
8. Offer specials and discounts. Free trials, buy one month get one month free and complimentary searches are all good ways to build a database. If you are offering any promotions, make the announcement via a press release and on your social network channels.
9. Join dating groups and attend conferences. The dating industry is a wheel that doesn’t necessarily need to be reinvented. Learning from the industry giants can help you build your business and generate users. You can gain helpful sales tips, learn about affiliate marketing and learn about industry trends.
10. Network. Go to local singles events and mixers to meet other singles and market your site. The more locals you have in any one area helps to build your search database.